History

The Lutheran Church of Hempstead began in May of 1952 when a group of interested persons came together for worship.  They first began worshiping in the Presbyterian church in Hempstead every two weeks with Pastor A.J. Mohr of St. John’s in Bellville acting as a supply pastor.  In 1959 a study was done by the Board of the American Missions of the American Lutheran Church.  They decided to give a Mission Subsidy that allowed the hiring of Rev. Walter Thormeyer to serve both Hempstead and Waller on July 5, 1959.  On October 7, 1962 the Lutherans of Hempstead formally organized into Trinity Lutheran Church of Hempstead with 35 confirmed and 56 baptized Charter Members.  On May 28, 1967 Trinity formally broke ground for the present church.  From 1989 to 2015 Trinity was an active member of the ELCA but in 2015 a conflict arose with the ELCA from Trinity members and other ELCA Lutherans in the area.  On November 13, 2016 Trinity voted to leave the ELCA.  On February 10, 2017 Trinity became a welcomed member of the NALC (North American Lutheran Church) and on May 19, 2017 Trinity received a welcome aboard letter from the LCMC (Lutheran Congregations Mission in Christ).  This dual associations gives Trinity the strength and backing of 2 national organizations which inspires a strong future of growth.  We look forward to the future and with the biblical teaching of God’s Word, the old Trinity has given way to what can only be called “A NEW BEGINNING”

Humble Beginnings 1969
1981 with Bell Tower
1987 with Additions
1987 Closeup